Friday, September 18, 2009

ARE YOU A HUNTER OR A SHOOTER

I recently changed my television cable package so I could start watching the vast selection of deer hunting shows offered on the Outdoor Channel and the Versus Channel. I was ecstatic. I was watching show after show after show. I felt like I was living in the outdoors. My wife felt like she was living the same day over and over as in the movie “Ground Hog Day”.

After several weeks of our television set being tuned into the Versus Channel or The Outdoor Channel, I found myself becoming disappointed in what I was viewing. My growing disappointment emerged from viewing so many shows that contained very little footage of actual hunting. The shows were focused on someone in a tree stand or ground blind placed near a food plot or attractant with a decoy set up.

Oh how technology has changed the way we hunt. I remember when scouting was actually done by walking through the woods instead of sitting in front of a computer and viewing digital pictures or watching live video feeds being taken by trail cameras. I remember actually hiking into the area I wanted to hunt instead of riding a 4-wheeler or utility vehicle. I remember hunting a natural food source instead of one planted to draw deer close enough for a shot. I remember when it was not legal to use bait…I mean a deer attractant. In fact, I don’t have to remember these things at all, because this is how I continue to hunt.

With today’s onslaught of trail cameras, utility vehicles, attractants (actually they should be called baits), food plots, cover scents, scent free clothing, high fencing, decoys, electronic calls, outfitters, etc, etc, etc…you no longer have to be a hunter. The only skill one has to master is shooting.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am not a well known outdoorsman or a writer. After my name, there is not the title “Professional Hunter”. Although I’m not exactly sure what qualifies someone to be titled a professional hunter. Webster’s Dictionary defines the word professional as “engaged in an activity as a means of livelihood or gain”. Gain is defined as “to get something for as a result of one’s efforts”. Every year, I engage in deer hunting gaining venison in the freezer. Therefore, I should qualify to be a professional hunter. I suppose I could put it after my name then. Let’s see how it sounds… Hmmm, not bad. I suppose now I am qualified to host an outdoor show. I can start endorsing products. Dang…I could make some money at this.

My love for the outdoors began when I was 11 years old when my father took me squirrel hunting. We only enjoyed hunting together a few times. He died when I was 14 years old. But his teachings and willingness to take me hunting to experience the outdoors has provided me with countless hours of enjoyment ever since.


After my father’s death, I continued hunting squirrels and rabbits for the next 13 years. In 1984, when I was 27 years old, I was I invited to go deer hunting in West Virginia. Since that first time I went deer hunting, I’ve been hooked. I do not get invited by outfitters to hunt big bucks that have been scouted all year. I do not own a farm where I can grow mature bucks. I do not have access to property holding Boone and Crocket deer. But every year I harvest deer. I have tried various methods of hunting the whitetail: tree stand; ground blind; deer drive. But the art of “still” hunting is my favorite way to pursue the whitetail. I enjoy the challenge of hunting deer on the ground, on their terms. I would rather shoot a doe by still hunting, than sit over a planted food crop or a bait…oops I mean attractant, and shoot a trophy buck.

Last hunting season, I shot my first deer with my bow while still hunting. I realized how much I had missed hunting during the archery season. I had not hunted with my bow for over 10 years. I set a personal goal to shoot a deer, buck or doe. I figured, if I can shoot a deer while still hunting with my shotgun at a distance of 30 yards or less, I should be able to do it with my bow. I consider this accomplishment one of my hunting high points. It was only a year and a half old buck, but I shot this deer on the ground on his turf.

The point of this article is not to condemn any certain method of hunting or to condemn the use of technology for hunting. I hunt from a tree stand when the circumstances call for it. I do use a compound bow. I even bought a range finder last year. I am not totally against the usage of modern technology for hunting. I just want deer hunters not to forget how to use their hunting skills. Remember, it is called deer hunting, not deer shooting.

So as you begin planning for this deer season, consider still hunting; consider hunting an area where you did no scouting; consider hiking to your destination instead of riding an ATV; don’t use any type of food attractants; don’t hunt over a field that is a food plot; keep your decoy in the garage. No matter what size the buck or doe you harvest, a greater sense of accomplishment will overwhelm you when you walk up to your downed deer. You will no longer be just a shooter, but a hunter.

Copyright © 2009 Craig Cribbs

1 comment:

  1. I myself enjoy the type of hunting you are talking about. Some of the most enjoyable hunts I ever had were 3 or 4 day excursions where I camped where I stopped for the night and only stopped when I was successful or needed to be back to work. Then came kids and my schedule changed. I still teach my son hunting skills I believe we should all keep them honed (tracking, stalking, ect). however I have no problem with shooters. I myself have tree stand hunted over a corn field. I eat deer, it is a staple for my family and we buy no beef from the store. My family of 4 ate 7 deer last year, most of them does. I feel no shame and even feel some pride in my connection to my food and nature. sure, I used a high powered rifle to shoot a doe at 150 yds in a corn feild and it wasn't as challenging as still hunting, however I gutted, Skinned, deboned the meat, took the tenderloin and two shoulder roasts while grinding the rest into burger. Then I feed my family with no farmer, butcher, or truck driver having a hand in it. Now I call that hunting. See you in the woods, Your pal the Envirocapitalist.

    ReplyDelete